Archive 2015-2016

2nd XI Vs Mostonians (Away)

Mostonians 1 - 2 Old Blacks

After 4 months without a game due to the weather, the Reserves finally got back to playing and winning!! A solid team performance with good energy levels, attitude and commitment saw us deservedly win a game that saw few chances for either team.  Every player was committed when we didn’t have the ball resulting in a solid defensive display with Ross Wilson dealing with everything that came his way in goal. The starting XI saw Adam Catlow and Shane Wakefield both play for the first time this season for the club, with both having impressive performances.  Tommy Kay moved to central midfield and had arguably his best performance of the season.  The first half was a relatively even game with little in the way of chances.  Tommy Kay, Ryan Bray & Adam Catlow were dominant in the central midfield battle, with Marcus Grendall and Kyle Haggan working hard in the wing back positions and providing good defensive cover. Unfortunately Ryan Bray’s glass ankle couldn’t take anymore after 30 mins, so a change had to be made with him being replaced by forward Tom Lawes and Joe Reed having to drop back into midfield.  Just after this change saw the first major piece of action.  Moston got a cross in from our left hand side and after pinball in the box, their centre forward decided to fall over Ross and claim for a penalty.  Despite the Moston players being excited about this and yelping in high pitched screams, the ref wasn’t impressed and waved play on. Old Blacks then had a couple of half chances with Catlow shooting just over on both occasions.  The deadlock was finally broken just before half time.  After good work down our left hand side, Shane Wakefield turned with the ball and drove into the box – being stopped by what can only be described as a ‘Clumsy’ challenge, leaving the ref no option but to point to the spot.  Captain John Root coolly dispatched the penalty – sending the keeper the wrong way.  HT 1-0 Old Blacks

The second half started with Moston increasing their pressure on us but without creating anything.  However they did find an equaliser after roughly 15 mins.  Kyle Haggan was caught in possession on the left hand side just outside our penalty area and gave away a free kick.  Our defence Dropped too deep before the kick was taken which allowed the in swinging free kick to drop on our 6 yard box; and after a scramble the ball was blasted into our goal for 1-1. Heads did not drop however and we were back in front again less than 10 minutes later.  Catlow put in a great ball from the right which Wakefield controlled and smashed home from less than 10 yards out.  The score should have been 3-1 soon after when Grendall sent over a superb cross that the unmarked Lawes headed at the keeper. Moston pushed 3 upfront and threatened to break behind our defence, however a change to 4-4-2 quickly nullified this and created plenty of space for us in the wide positions.  We were denied a third goal by the referee when Catlow’s superb curling effort hit the metal bar in the goal holding the netting together and bounced out.  The referee said that the ball had hit the post and allowed play to continue. 

The remainder of the match saw Moston try to attack in numbers, but a solid defensive display limited them to just 1 shot on target that Wilson saved comfortably whilst we looked dangerous on the counter attack.  FT 2-1 Old Blacks

Team (3-5-2) Ross Wilson; John Root (C), Peter Berry, Paul Heckingbottom; Marcus Grendall, Ryan Bray, Tommy Kay, Adam Catlow, Kyle Haggan; Shane Wakefield, Joe Reed Subs: Tom Lawes (for Bray, 30 Mins), Lee Lawrenson, Philip Woodford (both unused)

Man of the Match – Tommy Kay (Great performance defensively, looked a threat going forward with superb commitment and energy levels. Dominated the midfield)

3rd XI Vs Lymm (Away)

Lymm 1 - 3 Old Blacks 

The journey to Lymm was one filled with hopes, dreams and ambition, with a slight feeling of doubt, as when we set off the heavens were still open. We could hardly believe that after 3 months with no game that today it could finally be on. The lads rocked up ready to rumble but as we walked on to the away pitch our fears were confirmed, the only way to describe it would be comparing it to Shreks swamp, and an utter mud bath! We get ready anyway, but wait. No we don't! No socks and shorts! (Lewis Fielding) -  cheers to Lymm for loaning us the missing kit –an almighty mighty boo boo to say the least, after travelling 45 miles.
Luckily we had an exceptional referee who decide it was fit to play and that the river Ribble flowing across the pitch wasn't an issue. We knew today would be a tough fixture, as Lymm had beaten top of the league at home the week before! The game gets under way, we quickly realise today wasn't a day for fancy stuff and passing football. We decide to play a more direct style than our normal game, which was aided by Tommy Kay joining the side with a bit more prescience and physicality up top. It was a scrappy game to say the least, but we got the break through after a smart move wide on the left involving  Kyle Haggan and Tommy Kay, Following some neat one two stuff, Kyle delivered the ball in to the mixer and a cute finish from the egg man (Elliot Guinan) ! 1-0 hazaaar!
With the pitch being a nightmare fouls were occurring all over the pitch and we were under quite a bit of pressure. We conceded a cheap goal from a corner as we weren't switched on. 1-1 boo!
At half time manager Dave Fielding decided to motivate us after watching an end to end game, and told us to calm down, not mess with it, and get our heads on! Come on boys!
Not long in to the half, following a late challenge on Jordan Fielding, a free kick is given and Kyle Haggan picked up the ball and confidently said ‘we are bagging here’,  and we did. Fair play to the lad, he delivered a delicious ball, straight through the corridor of uncertainty and the keeper found himself in no man’s land, and a header flickerdin by posh Will! (Ainsworth) 2-1!
We then started to sit back a little, and received a lot of pressure for the last 15 minutes holding on for a result.  Lymm really wanted it but we weren't putting out. Not today. Lymm pushed everyone forward with a minute to go for a corner. The pressure was on. Mark Feeney’s towering header got it clear, but only as far as their winger on the edge of our penalty area, but a good clean a challenge from Jordan Fielding sent the ball to little Bradley (Langhorn), who carried it what must have been 80 yards at full pelt, with a passionate manager chasing, and almost over taking over him. Langhorn then played the ball square plays to Kieran Laskowski, who finished it tidily to make it 3-1 and the final whistle goes!
What a result! #COYOBADHD

Players Marks by Dave Fielding

Bradley Oliver - 8 Superb handling as always 

Mark Feeney - 8 A rock at the back and needed to be!

Will Ainsworth - 8 Ran his socks off and a well taken goal with his head

Jordan Fielding - 8 Worked hard for the team and a hand in the 3rd goal, played all over the park

Lewis Fielding - 8 Grew into the game and a strong 2nd half.

Paul Amos - 8 Another player who seems to get better as the game goes on,important player for us at the back now.

Elliot Guinan - 8 Agreat touch for the 1st goal and 100% effort as always for the team

Alex Boardman - 8 Fitted in well with the big Lug and a tidy performance

Keiron Lakowski - 8 Another goal and put in a shift for the team again

Kyle Haggan - 8 Worked well on the left and a hand in 2 goals, great left foot and would fit into this team

Tommy Kay - 8 Like kyle he fitted in well and worked his socks, off for the team


Matt Dewhurst - 8 Think he should take up boxing!! was starting to run rings round Lymm until he got his giggs broken

Brad Langhorn - 8 Always a threat and a pain for the opposition, great run and cross for the 3rd goal

I have Given all our player 8 just for turning up and playing in awful weather, and helping to bring the 3 points home!!!

Jack Lord - His Years At The Club

Jack Lord - His Years At The Club, In His Own Words

Jack Lord has put pen to paper and written a book about his time at the club.

It includes pieces on the people and characters he has met and worked with over the years, along with an insight as to how Jack got involved with the Blacks.

Jack had many successful years at the club as a manager of both the 1st and 2nd XI's, and remains a great friend of the club, and always keeps up to speed with happenings both on and off the field.

To help raise funds for the club, all proceeds from the sale of his book will be donated to the club.

To get your copy please email club, with your postal details, and Jack will get your copy to you. The book is priced at £3 a copy.

Order Your Copy - This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

1st XI Vs Rochdale St Clements ( Photos )

Match Day Photos - 1st XI Vs Rochdale St Clements
13/02/16     Old Blacks 2 - 1 Rochdale
P1060064 P1060073
Aaron Phillipson Bursts Through The
Rochdale Defence For First Goal
Martin Simm Caps Off A Great
Performance With The Headed Winner
P1060045 P1060046
P1060078 P1060034
P1060050 P1060043
 P1060066  P1060048
 P1060071  P1060058
 P1060070  P1060076

1st XI Vs Bolton Wyresdale (Home)


The First Team bounced back from losing to Blackrod Town with a convincing and professional 4-1 win against Bolton Wyresdale inspired by a hat-trick from substitute Tom Gavin. <

The game was played on the QEGS’s pitches due to the 90th Anniversary Celebrations, with a lot of former Old Blackburnians players from the past watching, and despite missing good players like Chris Charnock, Jordan Rodgers, Nick Molyneaux and Carl Fletcher the squad showed the strength in depth and put in a very good performance.

The team started slowly and Bolton almost scored when their forward went clean through only for Kieran Dawe to save with his feet, but after the 20 minute mark the team started to settle. The lads created numerous half chances, mainly due to the superb crossing and passing from Matt Andrew before they eventually took the lead. Arron Phillipson played a lovely one two with Norman Bell, before taking on two defenders and the ball was laid off to Rob McClure who fired in superbly to the top corner from just inside the box. We created a few more chances but could not take them and went into half time with the one goal lead.

We started the second half strongly dominating from the start, we missed numerous chances to put the game to bed, but our lack of finishing and composure in front of goal was missing. It looked like it was going to be one of those days where our lack of killer instinct could cost us points, but then into the fray came substitute Tom Gavin. He made an instant impact putting a lovely ball through which Phillipson just couldn’t get onto the end of, but then came the period of the game were Tom scored a match winning hat-trick. His first was helped by the keeper, who should have done better, but none the less it was a rasping 30 yard drive, his second, again from outside the box, was beautifully struck in off the post, and then the hat trick goal, another similar to the second into the bottom corner from outside the box. The goals were more than we deserved and despite Dawe conceding a penalty late on which Bolton scored, the team went out comfortable 4-1 winners, in fact it could easily have been more. Just what was ordered and a brilliant result after the disappointment of the last game, and a very good, solid performance. Hopefully this will be the start of another long unbeaten run.

Team – Dawe, Walton, Andrew, Hodgkinson, Sim (Cap), Bell, M.Cranage, Mooney, Gallagher, Phillipson, McClure Subs – J.Cranage, Gavin, Berardi

Goalscorers – McClure, Gavin (3)

Man of the Match – Matt Andrew 

Special thanks goes to QEGS for allowing us to use the pitch it was much appreciated from everyone within the team.